The area was part of the Lenape homeland known as Lenapehoking.
The Lenape were later called the "Delaware" by the English colonists because they inhabited both shores of what the English named the Delaware River.
This evidence was first discovered in 1917 in the Charleston section of the island.
The free Staten Island Ferry connects the borough to Manhattan and is a popular tourist attraction, providing views of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and Lower Manhattan.
Staten Island had the Fresh Kills Landfill, which was the world's largest landfill before closing in 2001, As in much of North America, human habitation appeared in the island fairly rapidly after the retreat of the ice sheet.
At the time of European contact, the island was inhabited by the Raritan band of the Unami division of the Lenape.
The Lenape, who spoke Lenape one of the Algonquian languages, called Staten Island Aquehonga Manacknong, meaning "as far as the place of the bad woods", or Eghquhous, meaning "the bad woods".
is one of the five boroughs of New York City, in the state of New York, in the United States. The South Shore, site of the 17th-century Dutch and French Huguenot settlement, developed rapidly beginning in the 1960s and 1970s and is now mostly suburban in character.